Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Vera Wang Interviewed by Wall Street Journal on Her Kohl's line

I look up to Vera Wang even though I have never bought a single Vera Wang label in my life. I admire her for her talent and hardwork, and her story is one of inspiration. The fact that she is of Asian decent makes me feel proud that Asian girls can make it so far in this dog-eat-dog man's world. So imagine how excited I was to read an interview with her in the Wall Street Journal. She's coming out with a collection called Vera Vera Wang for Khol's discount chain, at very low-end prices. In the beginning of the interview, she was asked about whether she thinks that it's a step down from designing thousands-dollar wedding dresses, and the several hundred dollar ready-to-wears that hold much prestige. Her answer was very Liz-Claibornesk, that it would be great to dress women of all ages and sizes.

It's all fine and danddy until we got to this question:

WSJ: Do you think middle America is getting more or less sophisticated about fashion?

Ms. Wang: I have been all over the United States in my fashion career, and one thing I noticed was how terrific women look today. I see the way girls are put together and how their moms are put together, and I am really pretty amazed. They know what the flip-flop is, the T-shirts, they have the shorts. They have a special jean. They have a great designer handbag.

... eh ... I think Vera Wang is just trying to be very nice here. T-shirt, flip-flops and jeans are pretty much the only things middle America knows. Of course she couldn't have said that or she would have sounded arrogant and have ticked off too many future customers. If being put-together means T-shirt, flip-flops and jeans, then Old Navy and the Gap would suffice. I certainly hope that her collection is more than just T-shirt, flips and jeans.

In any case, I will definitely check out Vera Vera Wang at my local Khol's. People go for the extra edge when they go for designer labels. I hope her collection will be as edgy as the label that comes with it.

No comments: