Friday, September 28, 2007

J Crew October 2007 Catalogue


Gosh ... they never seize to amaze. I dumped their stock a few days ago for a small profit because I think in the short term their stock is over-priced (I know, I know ... market timing isn't a good thing to do, but considering the whole retail sector isn't doing so well right now, more likely than not, J Crew would not be immune from it all. At least I luckily bought low, sold high). Then today I openned their October catalogue, and once again it made me drool. BUT ... it's one of those catalogues that make me go "If I have lots of money one day, I wanna dress like that". As far as catalogues go, it's the best of its kind out there. As far as the prices go ... ouch and unfortunately that day may never come ... or come way down the road. It's a good thing that they've figured out the formula for concoting the most addictive catalogue because I'll be hooked on this one for the next couple decades, and maybe one fine day in the next couple decades, I'll be rich enough to buy the whole store. I bet that's what they're betting on too.

The store definitely targets the young, the chic and the career-gal types. They understand the audience well, so well that everything about the clothes fit this young/chic/career-gal image to a T. That's the upside, that they do what they do well. The downside is that I think the store would only do really well in the major metropolitan areas, and perhaps some rich college towns at best. Last time I counted on Craigslist there are 23 major metropolitan areas in the US, so they already have a pretty good coverage on those. They can grow ... but only to a limit. I don't think J Crew would ever be as ubiquitous as the GAP. The middle America can afford the GAP, but not J Crew. I still think this stock would be a good long term investment. But I don't think you're looking at another GAP by any means even though it's now headed by a former GAP guy.

Another positive about J Crew is its new Crew Cuts department. As the young professional gals evolve into professional women with little ones spring up (such as moi), they will naturally love to dress their little ones in the same trendy style. I can't wait till my baby hits the 2 year mark.

No comments: