Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Asian fashion vs. European fashion vs. American fashion

My husband is of the opinion that anything from China or Korea or Asian fashion in general are no comparison to European fashion. As much as I hate to disagree with his sweeping assertion, I have yet to convince myself that Asian fashion can truly stand on its own in the world fashion Arena.

You can do your own comparison by checking out the two websites below
http://www.yesstyle.com/ for Asian fashion from designer to discount brands
http://www.custo-barcelona-shop.com/ for European designer fashion
Okay ... yeah ... sorry no comparison. As far as coutures go, Asia still has qutie a bit of catching up to do ... but I personally don't think that you need to be dressed in couture to look good.

I think the average ready-to-wears in Asia are more stylized than their US counter parts (not European counterparts), but perhaps that's because the average US shoppers have more conservative tastes (my DH is also of the opinion that US shoppers have no taste period). I'll admit that many things on yesstyle.com make me drool (even though custo-barcelona-shop.com makes me drool even more), and cry because they don't come in my new size after baby.

I think a lot of the Asian stuff can look very cute on Western bodies if only they come in larger sizes. Even some Asian women such as myself have problem finding clothes in their own countries due to the size limitations, and I am by no means large. It's fortunate that I live in American, and buying clothes has always been a breeze for me, but in Asia, a size 6 or 8 would be considere big, and when it comes to shoes, I should forget about it, size 8 is as big as most brands would carry. I am sadly, 8.5, so it's not much fun shoe-shoping in Beijing or Shanghai when I'm faced with a dizzying array of selections and only to find that nothing comes in my size. But I digress. When it comes to clothes, an average sized American girl would feel large shopping in China. There is definitely an obvious size discrimination in Asian fashion. It's also quite unfortunate that I live in America for reasonably priced clothes here have no edginess; they make me yawn most of the time. A tiny bit of design would give the sticker price some shock value. Why can't we strike a balance?

My Facebook Fashion Application

2 comments:

Yonina Gray said...

the two sites that you put up are incomparable- the Asian site had dresses in the $20.00 range, whereas the Custo Barcelons site had dresses near $200. This comparison did not successfully prove your point

Unknown said...

I agree with Size issues. especially korean often just follow other countries' fashion such as america,europe and japan which doesn't make me happy